raising a mommy

raising a mommy

Sunday, May 5, 2013

more than recipes

Today's blessing:
Chocolate chip cookies

Recipes should be hand written, and that's all there is to it. Recipes are more than just ingredients on a piece of paper or cardstock. There are memories associated with them: a favorite meal, a special dessert, even an inside joke. There's something special about a recipe being passed down through generations.

When I got married, my mom bought me a recipe box. She said she was so sad that she didn't have many recipes in her mom's handwriting, and she wanted to make sure that didn't happen to me. Since then I've added recipes from my mother in law, Grandma, an aunt or two and some good friends.

If you ask me to share a recipe, I'm probably going to hand write it. It's more personal. It may take a little bit longer, but it'll be way more meaningful.

Do you have a good recipe to share? I'd love a copy, and I'd even trade you my killer chocolate chip cookie recipe for it! We'd probably have to get together for coffee or something to exchange...what a shame that is!

Which reminds me, Mom, I have that chocolate chip cookie written out for you so you can discard the printed copy with the messed up formatting!

1 comment: