raising a mommy

raising a mommy

Friday, October 4, 2013

fmf: write

Here are the rules:
1. Write for five minutes flat for pure unedited love of the written word.
2. Link back to Lisa Jo Baker's blog with the rest of the Five Minute Friday-ers.
2. Comment on the person who linked up before you.

Please join us!

Today's prompt: Write

GO

When I was in second grade, I won honorable mention in a city-wide story contest. I was pretty proud of myself. I think that was when I finally gave up my dream of becoming an astronomer (no joke!) or a ballerina or a princess. I liked writing stories. I wanted to be a children's book author.

I actually held onto that dream for quite some time, considering my age. Most kids go through phases and want a new career every three or four weeks. Not me. I went through a brief fling with meteorology when I was in fourth grade (really? I know...) but then it was right back to writing for me. Eighth grade graduation was a pretty big thing at my school, and my class did "Most likely to" awards for everyone. There were only 40 or 50 some of us, so it wasn't that bad. I was "Most likely to become the next Sharon Creech." Never heard of her? That's a shame. Find Chasing Redbird or Bloomability or Absolutely Normal Chaos in the middle school reader section of your library and read it now. You will NOT regret it.

When I hit high school, I changed focus and decided I wanted to do something with music. Unfortunately, this lasted until I was about a junior in college. That's when I realized that music is more of a hobby for me than a career. Whoops. I didn't really know what to do then. I've never really been a career minded person. The idea doesn't motivate me.

My senior year I took one of those required classes that no one wants to take and very few people actually get any information out of but they're still required to round out your education. After receiving a really good grade on my first paper, the professor pulled me aside after class and asked if I'd ever considered a career in writing, because I had a gift.

I think I smiled and said "thank you" and scampered out of the room as quickly as possible. Then I filed the compliment and tucked it away and didn't do much with it.

But it was always there.

That compliment and my love of the written word.

And now I'm doing something with it.

I realize a number of things at this point, as I'm reading other beautifully crafted blog posts and marveling at stories shared so eloquently:
1. I don't have anything to say that hasn't already been said 100 times.
2. I probably won't be able to share it as beautifully as some of you can and have.
3. I'm really just doing this for myself.

And that's completely fine. Because I can reach people that the other wordsmiths can't, and some people don't need (or want) fancily crafted words. And every now and then, you need to do things for yourself. Maybe as a release or maybe just to prove you still can.

STOP

That was actually more like 15 minutes, but it just flowed and was largely unedited, so I'm going to count it!


Five Minute Friday

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! No matter how many times people have written on a topic, we each have our own unique voice. Keep on writing and sharing words from your heart. I'm glad I followed you on FMF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea, thanks for visiting me and for your wonderful words. You only have to write what is in your heart. There is no one that sees the world like you do. Keep writing, you will be surprised how it changes over time. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea, this is beautiful! I love that you have such a history with writing, going all the way back to second grade. Even though you may feel as though you don't have anything unique to say, I'm certain God is using your words in powerful ways. Thank you for writing for yourself...and for letting the rest of us peek in! :-)

    ReplyDelete