raising a mommy

raising a mommy

Friday, September 6, 2013

fmf: red

Here are the rules:
1. Write for five minutes flat for pure unedited love of the written word.
2. Link back to Lisa Jo Baker's blog with the rest of the Five Minute Friday-ers.
2. Comment on the person who linked up before you.

Please join us!

Today's prompt: Red

GO
"With hair like yours, you better behave, because you're certainly not going to go unnoticed!"

Much like Anne of Green Gables (a childhood hero of mine), my red hair always seemed to be the bane of my existence growing up. I was really pretty much a goody goody, but I know that if I hadn't been, I wouldn't have been able to get away with anything.

"Who did it?"

"The red head!"

That pretty much narrowed it down to me, any of my brothers, (though the hair got progressively lighter after me. While my older brother and I both have the fiery red you think of when you think Ireland...or the Weasleys...my younger two brothers are closer to a strawberry blonde), or Ashley, the sweet girl who was a year younger than I at our small private school.

Sometime around college I decided it wasn't that bad after all. I guess it was nice to be unique, and not in a bad way.

Call me ginger, carrot top, or whatever else, my red hair has definitely grown on me. (Literally and figuratively.) There just aren't that many of us around anymore, so it's fun to be a part of the exclusive club. You can buy a box at the store and try to fake your way into the club, but we know the truth.

I only wish I could fake a better Irish accent so I could mess with people.

STOP


Five Minute Friday

2 comments:

  1. Oh this made me smile. Anne referencing, your blog title, your family picture... love it all! I have to admit I am jealous. Growing up (and to this day) I have always wanted firey red hair, never understood the appeal of Diana Barry when there was Such Distinction sitting so close beside her! I just the other day told my husband that the only positive I could see in my possibly following my grandmother down the path of the prematurely grey, was that it meant I could justify going to get one of those boxes at the grocery store. If I can't make it, I will just have to fake it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our whole family loves Anne of Green Gables (including my husband who read the whole series!). We also LOVE The Blue Castle (have you read that one?). My eldest daughter has strawberry blonde hair, and mine is a cinnamon and sugar color ;). It used to be brown with red highlights, and I attempted to be all-out red a time or two, but it didn't work. What a fun post! Glad I stopped by from FMF!

    ReplyDelete