raising a mommy

raising a mommy

Friday, March 7, 2014

have books, must read

Today's blessing:
Books

My friends, I am quite literally surrounded by blessings all the time. Of course I mean a comfortable home, loving friends and family, beautiful weather (sunny, snowy, rainy, or windy), and plenty of time at home with my baby toddler. (I'm still getting used to that.) However, for the sake of this post, I mean books. They are everywhere.

I grew up a reader. In third grade when there was a monthly competition to see who could read the most pages, I won every month except one. (And I think she lied. Really, no one in their right mind would read as much as I did!) I was the girl who finished the 600 minute reading challenge in two days one year. (Remember, where you read 600 minutes and you got a free ticket to Six Flags?) I remember my mom telling me to put down my book and go outside. So I took my book outside. Apparently, that wasn't what she had in mind, so when she tried to take my book away, I climbed a tree and read up there. I'm not joking. There is photo evidence somewhere in my parent's house.

While I won't be completely heartbroken if my little girl doesn't love reading quite as much as me, I am definitely relieved that she enjoys books.

Sometimes you just need to escape to another world and live someone else's life. Or sometimes it's good to remind yourself that your life really isn't all that bad. Whatever your reason for reading, it is a good one, and you will be a better person for it!

I've really fallen off the reading wagon lately, so my for my "lenten discipline" this year, I'm going to read more. I don't know how giving up chocolate or coffee will make me a better person in the long run, but I know that reading certainly can.

I recently had the opportunity (joy, privilege, honor, etc) to hear the Dalai Lama speak at the Nobel Peace Prize Forum.

We were in the seventh row. Absolutely amazing. He was such a cute little old man, and so funny!
Hearing his simple brilliance inspired me to pick up a book that I started a long time ago but never finished:



I'm pretty excited to get back into this one!

What should be next on my list? While I like to be entertained, I'm looking for books with substance. I'm thinking about some Donald Miller and possibly Peter Gomes, but I'm definitely open to suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment