raising a mommy

raising a mommy

Thursday, January 9, 2014

our little girl: 23 months

I missed last month, but just assume that she's stellar in all ways.

Mastered Skills (most kids can do)
Can make a tower of four bricks: And then some. She got some awesome wooden blocks for Christmas and absolutely loves them. She gets very creative. One of them is her "coffee maker."

Can name a simple picture in a book: Many of them. Those "First 100 Words" or "First 100 Animals" books are amazing.

Can use 50 single words: Many, many more. The kid can carry on a conversation.

Emerging Skills (half of children can do)
Can make two- or three- word sentences: Husband read this one to me the other day, and we laughed. Then P came over and said, "Puppy is under the table."

Can sing simple tunes: "Twinkle Twinkle" is one of her favorites. The other day I caught her singing "You are my sunshine" to one of her dolls." That's what I sing to her before I put her to bed. Does that melt your heart or what?

Takes more of an interest in playing with other children: Playing near other children, actually, which I'm pretty sure is perfectly normal. As long as they don't try to take her stuff.

Advanced Skills (a few children can do)
Can walk down stairs: As long as they're not too steep. Luckily she's not so adventurous that she tries the big ones herself. She's learning how to use the hand rail, too.

Talks about self (likes, dislikes): All the time, but she doesn't always get the pronouns right. She says "You don't like it" or "You want to come up." Pretty cute.

Asks "why?": Not yet. Thank goodness.

Other things you might want to know:
-She went to the bathroom in her potty chair for the first time! It was pretty exciting. It hasn't happened again since, but it's a start!
-She won't let us pick out her shirt anymore.
-She loves all things Elmo, including Elmo's world. I really don't mind, though. There's a scene where there are some kids playing school, and the kid asks the "teacher" what 2+2 is. Now she walks around saying "2+2=4." It's pretty impressive if you don't know that she's just repeating what the kids say!
-I braided her hair. It was a horrible mess, but it's a start!

Favorite new words and phrases:
-2+2=4
-She can now count to 13, but after 13 comes 11-teen and then sixteen. I think we got a 14 out of her today!
-It's hard to say anymore. She's just such a talker, it's a little crazy.

She loves dressing up her animals. I have a picture of her purple puppy wearing a diaper, too!

She absolutely loves her daddy's new Christmas present.

I made the mistake of unpacking the groceries and leaving the tomatoes within her reach. She loves them.

Like I said, she loves the present! We had a couple gorgeous weather days a few weeks ago, and she got mad when I only took her for a two mile walk.

The braid. Reprise to come, I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment