raising a mommy

raising a mommy

Monday, July 14, 2014

diaper stripping 101

A few months ago, we started having issues with the kiddo leaking out of her diapers. Not fun. We hadn’t had any major problems with it before, so when she suddenly started leaking at least a couple times a week, we figured something was going on. We hadn’t started changing her less often, and she hadn’t dramatically increased her fluid intake, so our best guess was that it had something to do with her diapers. I decided it was about time to strip her diapers.

I read several articles online and consulted a number of friends who also used cloth, and here is the method I decided to try:

Step 1: Order more Charlie’s Soap. This is the detergent we originally used to wash her diapers, and it worked great. There’s nothing unnatural, artificial, or even remotely offensive about it, so I bit the bullet. It was terrifying to spend $120 on a tub of laundry soap, but I know I won’t have to buy it again for a long time. The big tub says you’ll get 1250 loads, but I know I will get more, since I don’t use the full amount for a load of diapers.

Step 2: Start with clean diapers. I washed them using the homemade detergent I had on hand, since my Charlie’s Soap hadn’t come yet. I usually send my diapers through a soak cycle, then heavy wash with hot water and detergent, then rinse again in cold. This time, I stopped after the wash. At this point, I also pulled out all of the covers, since they didn’t need to be stripped, just leaving the inserts.

Step 3: Grab your Dawn blue dish soap. I don’t know if it actually has to be Dawn and has to be blue, but that’s what I read, and that’s what I had on hand anyway, so it worked out well. Mine was the advanced power scrubbing stuff. Squirt some Dawn into your washer, onto the diapers. I did two really quick circles.

Step 4: Rinse.

Step 5: Rinse.

Step 6: Rinse.

Step 7: Rinse.

Step 8: Rinse.

Step 9: Rinse.

I think I rinsed about six or seven times. I rinsed them until I saw no more bubbles at all at any point in the cycle, then I rinsed them two more times. I think the advanced power might make more bubbles than the regular dish soap, so if you have the regular stuff, you might not need to rinse as many times!

Step 10: Since it was April (and still most definitely winter in Minnesota) I sent the inserts through the dryer. Now that it’s warmer, I dry them on the line.

Since doing this, I haven’t had any more issues. I’ve been using Charlie’s Soap on all of our laundry, and it’s been great. She still leaks out occasionally, but only when I let her go too long. She’s usually so good about telling me when she needs her diaper changed that I forget about it sometimes! (Yet she shows no interest in potty training. Little stinker.)

1 comment:

  1. Whenever I need to strip my diapers its Tide to the rescue. I never keep track of how many rinses but wash with Tide every few months keeps them stripped.

    ReplyDelete