raising a mommy

raising a mommy

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

yum: grandma's homemade granola

Today's blessing:
Real food

I'm trying (in a baby-step kind of way) to gradually increase the amount of real food my family eats. I've found a number of great recipes on the 100 Days of Real Food blog. They have a granola recipe that I'm sure is delicious, but I have one that works, so why mess with it?

Here's what I love about this recipe:

  • It is so easy! Dump ingredients in bowl. Mix together. Bake and stir. Store. Eat.
  • There is nothing bad for you. No processed sugar, no salt, no nastiness.
  • It is flexible. You can change the quantities of ingredients based on what you have in your pantry. If you have almonds and pecans but no cashews, that's just fine. I don't think I've ever used ground sesame seeds.
  • It's delicious in yogurt, as cereal, or just by itself. Sometimes, if I want to sweeten it up a little more (though it certainly doesn't need it!) I'll add a handful of raisins or dried cranberries to a bowl with my granola. Delightful.
  • It makes a great gift. Kind of goofy, I know, but if you're in need of a hostess gift and you've already exhausted your standards (for me: homemade salsa and jam) this is a great option. It's also a nice thing to pass on to a new mom. Package it in individual serving containers for her to keep wherever she nurses baby. Healthy, one-handed snacks are a God-send. (It is a one-handed snack, I promise. Take off the lid and drink it up!)
  • It came from my grandma. Grandmas always seem to have the best recipes!
So, without further ado, here it is:

Grandma's Homemade Granola


Ingredients:
6 cups old fashioned oatmeal
1 cup shredded coconut (all I had was sweetened, but I'm going to try to find unsweetened next time)
1 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 cup nuts
1/2 cup flax seed meal
1/2 cup raw wheat germ
1/2 cup sesame seeds (ground)
Whatever else you like, is good for you, or have handy
1 cup oil
1 cup honey



Mix all ingredients together. Bake at 300 for 40 minutes, stirring about every 10 minutes. I divide mine between two cake pans. Next time I'm going to line them with parchment paper, too, because the dishwasher doesn't quite get everything off, and I'm lazy.
Stays fresh in an airtight container for several months. If it lasts that long. As you can tell, it makes a pretty generous batch!


Mmm...don't you just want to grab a spoon and dive in? I do...

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I do! It looks really yummy. I like your updated photo, too.

    ReplyDelete