raising a mommy

raising a mommy

Saturday, April 19, 2014

yum: skillet apples and pork chops

Today's blessing:
Easy, healthy dinner

My husband's reaction after his first bite: Oh me-oh my-oh.

I'm not making that up. He's a pretty big dork.

When I pulled this pork loin out of the freezer yesterday morning, I had the intention of throwing it in the slow cooker with apples and onion and other miscellaneous ingredients. Then my little one decided she wanted an apple for her bedtime snack last night, and I wasn't about to say no to that! By the time I got back from the grocery store this morning, it was too late for the slow cooker. Luckily, I found plan B in here:


I was lucky enough to win this cookbook in a giveaway done by Anna over at girl with blog, and I was pretty excited. I don't have any pretty pictures of my ingredients or the recipe in progress, so I hope you'll forgive me for just sharing the recipe straight up.

Skillet Apples and Pork Chops
from Gooseberry Patch Good-for-You Everyday Meals

Ingredients:
6 bone-in pork chops (I had a pork loin that I just sliced into thin chops. No bones, but it's what I had!)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup butter divided
3-4 Granny Smith apples, cored and thinly sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped (I didn't have this either. I didn't ever have dried thyme, so I substituted rosemary.)
1 cup lager-style beer or apple cider (Guess what...all we had was Heineken, and it worked just fine. But I'm sure a hard cider would have been even better!)

Season pork chops with salt and pepper.
Melt half of butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
Add pork chops to skillet and cook for 5 minutes. Turn chops over and cook for another 4 mintues, or until juices run clear.
Remove chops to a plate.
Reduce heat to medium; add remaining butter, apples, onion, and thyme to skillet. Cook for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add beer or cider and cook for another 15 minutes, or until liquid has reduced and thickened.
Return chops to skillet. Cover with apple mixture and cook for another 5 minutes.
Serve chops topped with apple mixture.

That's all. So easy, so delicious! I heated a can of green beans and warmed up some rolls to go with, and it was a great meal!

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, sounds yummy and easy! I'll have to add it to my meal list to try!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the pork tenderloin was very tender. More than pork chops would be. Sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete