raising a mommy

raising a mommy

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

a place for everything: march

Today’s blessing:
Pinterest

You may have read my last post about my love of envelopes. Well, I recently added a new envelope to our budget, and I wanted to share with you. Ever since I got hooked on Pinterest, I've been pinning all kinds of great ways to get organized. I'm not the neatest person in the world, but if there is a place for something, I'm usually pretty good about making sure that's where it ends up. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to try any of these great ideas, because I couldn't figure out which envelope they'd come out of. Also, it's a bit overwhelming to look at a site with “52 clever organizing tricks you must try now or your home will be chaos” and know where to start. So I bit the bullet and added a “home expenses” budget. It'll cut into our debt snowball just the tiniest bit, but it’s a sacrifice we’ll make for a little bit of organization! Starting in March, I allotted $25 per month to go in this envelope.

Over the next few months, I hope to share some of these simple and inexpensive solutions with you. My goal is to have one every month. New pillows and an air mattress are on our “home expenses” list in the near future, but they’re probably not going to help us get any better organized. Those months, maybe I'll share some fun, free ideas that I've found and have been procrastinating trying but can't put off any longer because I've made the commitment to share something every month.

So, here it is – March’s $25 was spent in the following way:
Medium Drawer Organizer: $9.97
Two packs of file folders: $4.27 each
Two tray organizers: I don't actually remember how much these cost, but they probably weren't more than a few dollars a piece. I got them awhile ago, so this is more of a re-purposing thing.
Total: Just under $25

The medium drawer organizer is the first step toward getting our bathroom organized. We have somehow accumulated an obscene amount of medicine, and the bottles were taking over. I never knew if we were out of something or if it had just gotten pushed to the back of the cupboard, so I wasted money buying it again. Well, no more!


That's right, it's all right there, where it should be, without digging or knocking things over! I'm not sure those categories will stick for the long term, but for now, they work just fine!

(Note: If you don’t have a label maker, you should get one. They’re fun. Maybe it’s just because I’m a huge dork, but I love it. If you don’t have one and aren't as big a dork as I am, then masking tape and a pen work just as well.)

The tray organizers are another step in getting the bathroom organized. I read awhile ago about all the nasty stuff that floats around the bathroom. When you floss your teeth, you don't think that all of the food junk ends up on the mirror, do you? Really, think about it. Or not. It's just gross. So instead, I'm getting them off the counter and into a drawer.


Eventually we'll have something different, but for now, these are just fine. The one I really like is $15 and has more compartments (for toothpaste and floss and stuff) but there's no way it'll fit in our drawer.


We’ll be using the file folders for next month’s project, so just hold onto those. I spent a little more to get the pretty colored ones because I'm using them for a long term project and I want it to be pretty. The choice is yours!


1 comment:

  1. that's a really great idea! I can't wait to read more. My living space is so unorganized!

    ReplyDelete