raising a mommy

raising a mommy

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

a place for everything: april

Today’s blessing:
Travel mugs. Yes, I feel silly carrying one around my house, but at least I get to finish my coffee before it gets cold!

It's that time again! We’re getting organized one month and $25 at a time! Here's April:

Small Drawer Organizer: $5.47
Two File Boxes: $7.97 each
One Pack of Shower Curtain Rings: $1.12 (I could have gotten the cream ones for 75 cents, but I liked clear better, so I spent a little more. It's an investment that I'll be happy with forever!)
With tax, I think it came to $24 and some change. Not bad!

Here's how they were used:

Small Drawer Organizer:


The Small Drawer Organizer became the newest addition to the bathroom closet. Last month I started with a bigger one to organize the small pharmacy we have somehow accumulated, and this was the perfect complement. I could seriously have about a dozen of these all over my house and it still wouldn't be enough. They are one of the greatest little inventions ever.

We now have all of our band-aids, and creams (anti-itch and antibiotic) in neatly organized drawers. And I was able to see that I still had products that had expired in 2007, so I did a little purging while I was at it! I don't really have a designated use for the bottom drawer yet. When I was going through the closet, I realized that I have a ridiculous quantity of razors and refill blades. I stocked up with sales and coupons several years ago, and have been working through them ever since. I guess for now it can be my razor drawer!

File Boxes:



This is where you use the file folders you bought last month. The file boxes will make perfect memory boxes for our kids. (I hope!) I used PicMonkey to make the super-fancy name page and printed it on pretty card stock. I didn't want anything too permanent, because I like the idea of adding to it as she gets older: pictures that capture her personality, art she's made, etc. I solved this problem by using those sticky photo corner things that you can get in the scrapbooking section of any store.

I'm still playing around with how to label the folders, at least until she gets to school. Right now, I'm thinking I'll start with Prenatal through 1 Year:

Ultrasound pictures, hospital bracelets, baptism paraphernalia, random cards, and other such stuff.
1st Birthday until Preschool
So far all I have here is pictures she's painted, but I have more stuff packed somewhere that will go in here eventually. Now I have the folder - it's just waiting to be filled!
After that it gets much easier:
Preschool
Kindergarten
And then one for each grade after that.
I'm going to wait to make the actual tags for awhile because, let's face it, I'm pretty indecisive and will probably change my mind several times!
Eventually I'll probably add a few more, too: church stuff, scouting stuff, sports stuff, etc, depending on what they end up being interested in. I love these boxes because they're durable, they're inexpensive, they're big, and it's easy to add to them later if needed.

P was really excited to help, too.
I will not, however, be using them to store important legal documents and such. Birth certificates, social security cards, immunization records, and the like will still go in our fire-safe locked box! If you don't have one of those, put it at the top of your list!

Shower Curtain Rings:


As of right now, the shower curtain rings are being used to organize my scarves, but I can see myself coming up with many more uses for them in the future! I have some really great scarves, but I never wear them, because they've all been shoved in a drawer of my dresser. Now I can see them all, and I have an empty drawer to play around with!

I would love to hear your organization tips - how do you rein in the chaos on a budget?

Did you miss March? Check it out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment