raising a mommy

raising a mommy

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

yum: whole wheat tortillas

Today's blessing:
Good kitchen stuff that make cooking easy

Disclaimer: I sell Pampered Chef. This entry is not meant to be a commercial, but I will be sharing a recipe and some of the tools I use to help make the making of the food easier. If this kind of thing annoys you, you can either stop reading or attempt to ignore it. Also, if you've made this recipe or a similar one, please feel free to share your tips in the comments!

I have recently decided that I need to be more intentional about what I put into my body. I’m focusing on eating more “real” food, with the help of this wonderful website! I’ve made two of their recipes with great success, so I thought I’d share one of them with you! (The third was a complete failure, but that was my fault.)

Whole Wheat Tortillas
Step one: gather your ingredients
That's right, only three of them! Actually, there is a fourth, but I didn't think you needed to see my cup of water.
 Step two: mix them up
The original recipe calls for you to use the dough hook attachment, which I didn't have. This one worked just fine!
Step three: divide them up
This is where I started to appreciate my pastry mat. I'm horrible at eye-balling measurements, but this worked like a dream!

Step four: let them sit
Self explanatory.

Step five: roll and cook
This is where the first true wonder of the pastry mat came into play. The writer of the original recipe was very concerned about using too much flour to roll out the tortilla. I used none. Also, I didn't have to guess if I was close to 8-10 inches!
Then it rolled right off the mat! It was amazing! Sorry for the awkward picture; I was using my camera's self-timer option.


I cooked mine in my 12" nonstick skillet, and it worked like a dream. The first time I made one, I put a little oil in the pan, as the recipe said. However, I didn't like the greasy-oily look and feel it gave my otherwise very healthy tortilla, so I didn't use any oil for the rest of them. If you aren't using a non-stick pan, you may need the oil. Then I used my handy tongs to flip them, and I was all set!


They have so much more character than the perfectly round, boring ones you buy in a bag at the store!

The Recipe:

Whole Wheat Tortillas
from 100 Days of Real Food
Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup oil (I used olive oil, because that's what I bought in the gallon jug at CostCo, but you can use whatever kind you have on hand.)
  • 1 teaspoon salt (or a little less. I tend to use less salt than any recipe calls for.)
  • 1 cup warm water
Directions:
  1. Combine flour, oil, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using a dough hook (or not, if you don't have one!) mix until crumbly: about 3-5 minutes. Scrape the sides as needed.
  2. With the mixer still running, gradually add the water, mixing until the dough becomes smooth.
  3. Remove the dough from the bowl and divide it into 12 pieces (or however many tortillas you want). I use the handy measurements on the edge of my pastry mat to help me get my pieces relatively even.
  4. Form the dough into balls, flatten them slightly, and put them on a baking sheet, covered with plastic wrap. Let them sit at room temperature for 15 minutes or up to an hour. Meanwhile, heat your skillet over medium-high heat. You'll want to give it plenty of time to get nice and hot.
  5. Roll out each ball into an 8-10 inch circle (or circle-ish shape). Grease your pan with a little bit of oil if you need to, and transfer the tortillas, one at a time, into your skillet. Cook them until they are puffy and slightly brown, about 30-45 seconds per side.
  6. Allow them to cool, and either refrigerate or freeze them within an hour.
This time, I made a double batch and froze half. They make a great breakfast with a scrambled egg, salsa, and a little cheese. A quick and easy lunch is a little bit of turkey or chicken, cheese, and whatever veggies you have on hand - yesterday I had tomato, spinach, and avocado. Yum! Then supper was chicken enchiladas. Delicious! I will probably never buy tortillas again... (That's a lie. I'll probably get lazy/busy at some point, especially after I have more than one child and have to go back to work, but I will resent the store bought tortillas with every bite for being less healthy and far less delicious.)

If you are interested in purchasing any of the Pampered Chef products I feature in this post, I hope you'll shoot me an email or visit my website. If you're in the southwest Minnesota area, you're welcome to come over and raid my kitchen to try them out, first! If you decide you can't live without the skillet, but you just can't afford to pay full price, you might be interested to know that you can get it for 60% off in April just by collecting $200 in orders from friends and family. Then you can also get the pastry mat for 50% off! Again, shoot me an email if you might be interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment