raising a mommy

raising a mommy

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

something new

Today's blessing:
An ice maker.

We have well water at our new home - gross. Tolerable, I guess, but I won't drink nearly as much as I should with it tasting the way it does. Luckily, we have an ice maker in our freezer. All I have to do is make sure the little lever is in the right position, and we will never run out of ice. (Maybe. We'd have to try really hard to run out.) Somehow the nasty water tastes better when it's cold.

And I digress...

Friends, I think I'm going to try something new: a series. I don't know exactly what this will entail yet, but I hope you don't mind learning along with me. I've been feeling a pull to take this blog in a slightly different direction - something a little more structured, maybe. Not quite as scattered. Less random, more relevant. Does that make sense?

I have the amazing opportunity this next year to stay home with my little one. I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but the last two and a half weeks have been the best of my life. I feel like I know her better than I did before. We have a rhythm, and it's beautiful.

Staying home has also given me the opportunity to do other things. I'm spending time developing routines. I'm learning how to keep a home clean and establishing habits so that when I go back to work next September, they're already ingrained in me. (Right? That's how it will work?)

We have less money coming in now that my husband is working instead of me, but I've been able to find ways to compensate for this. We didn't eat out much before, but we do even less, now. (It helps that the closest restaurant is probably 20 minutes away.) I can spend more time meal planning and making grocery lists, so we have less waste and I don't buy as much expensive "convenience" food that we don't end up needing or using.

I've been making homemade desserts instead of buying cookies. I'm sure they have as much sugar and other unhealthy stuff in them as the store bought kind, but at last I can pronounce all of the ingredients in them, so I feel better! I'm using my bread machine more. (Though the first attempt yielded an item that was more brick than loaf. I'm doing the best I can without a manual!) I hang clothes outside to dry rather than using the machine. This doesn't actually save us any money because we don't pay for electricity, but the church does, so I'm just trying to be a good steward of their resources! This weekend, with the help of my mother in law, I am going to take a stab at canning. What an adventure!

And having the little one in cloth full time (aside from one disposable at night) has been a huge money saver already!

So here's my plan: I'm going to share these adventures with you. I'll document my journey and share with you recipes, tips, and little bits of budgeting advice that I find or come up with. Sound good?

Now I just need a catchy title for my series...leave a suggestion in the comments! The winner gets a hug next time I see them!

1 comment:

  1. Pinching pennies on the Prairie!! And I want a hug next time I see you even if I don't win!
    Or how about Practically Prairie??

    ReplyDelete