raising a mommy

raising a mommy

Monday, September 16, 2013

homegirl economics: homemade crockpot pumpkin butter


Today's blessing:
Pumpkin

Until very recently (possibly even this fall) I liked the idea of pumpkin more than pumpkin itself. I have always loved fall: pretty colored trees, cooler weather so you can wear cute sweaters, and the start of football season. (Also, my birthday.) I would treat myself occasionally to a pumpkin white mocha from Caribou (not much of a "treat" for three falls when I worked there and got them for free, but still a sign of fall!), but I drank it more because I liked the idea of the pumpkin - what it symbolized. (Aka, the coming of fall.) Get it?

Then something switched in me. This year, I can't get enough. Here's a little fall treat for you to enjoy:


Ingredients:
- 2 15 oz cans pumpkin puree
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup sugar (the original recipe calls for 1 1/2, but I almost think it's too sweet even with just one! I guess it's a personal taste thing. Use your best judgement!)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

I just have a small container of sugar...
1. Mix all ingredients together in your crock pot.
2. Cook on low for 5 hours (or about two if you're halving the recipe like I did. I won't make that silly mistake again, though!). 
3. Stir the mixture occasionally. It should stick to the spoon when it's done, and will thicken slightly as it cools.
4. Put your delightful finished product in mason jars to cool. I used 4 oz jars. It will keep for about a week in the fridge or up to six months in the freezer.



Enjoy! Paige loved it on french toast. It also makes a great thank you or hostess gift. Put a pretty brown ribbon around the lid with a tag, and you're good to go!

I also used it in a muffin recipe that I'll have to share at some point...

Here's the breakdown:
Pumpkin: $1.50/15 oz can (I think this is what I paid. You'll need to recalculate if yours is significantly more or less!) Total: $3
Apple juice: $1.50/60 oz (2.5 cents an oz, 8 oz in a cup) Total: $.20
Sugar: $1.48/4 lb bag (I guess there are about 2 cups per pound) Total: $.19
Cinnamon: $14.69/8 oz (I use mostly Penzey's Spices. They're more expensive, but SO much better tasting! There are about 48 tsp in an 8 oz bag.) Total: $.31
Pumpkin Pie Spice: Same as above: $.31
Grand Total: $4.01
Then you have to add in the cost of the mason jars, but you can find them at rummage sales all the time. I somehow managed to unintentionally accumulate so many that I finally decided I need to do something with them. You should be able to get 8-10 4 oz jars from this recipe, which is a great size for a hostess gift, which makes the contents of each jar about $.50 - better than a $10 bouquet of flowers that will die within a week, and certainly better than an expensive bottle of wine that they may or may not actually like anyways!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. I actually made my own Pumpkin Pie Spice a while back. No idea if it's cheaper than buying it already made or not. Wonder if Evan would like this....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to make this - it sounds delicious :)

    ReplyDelete